Changing the brightness of your Windows 10 computer’s display can have numerous benefits, from reducing eye strain to preserving your battery life. However, if you’re new to Windows 10 or simply haven’t needed to adjust your display’s brightness before, it may not be immediately obvious how to do so. Fortunately, this article will guide you through the process step-by-step, making it easy to change your brightness settings to suit your needs.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Change Brightness on Windows 10
Step 1: Open the Settings App
The first step in changing your computer’s brightness is to open the Settings app. You can do this by clicking on the Start button in the lower left-hand corner of your screen and then clicking on the gear icon.
Step 2: Click on System
Once you’re in the Settings app, click on the “System” icon.
Step 3: Click on Display
From the System menu, click on “Display.”
Step 4: Adjust the Brightness Slider
Next, locate the “Brightness and color” section and use the slider to adjust your display’s brightness to your preferred level.
Step 5: Use the Night Light Feature
If you find that your screen’s brightness is too harsh, you can use the “Night light” feature to reduce blue light emissions and make your screen easier on your eyes. Simply toggle the switch next to “Night light” to turn the feature on.
Step 6: Schedule Your Night Light
To ensure that your Night Light automatically turns on and off at the times that are most convenient for you, you can schedule it to turn on and off automatically. To do this, click on “Night light settings” and select your preferred schedule.
Step 7: Enable Dark Mode
If you find that your screen’s brightness is still too harsh, you can also enable Dark Mode to reduce the amount of light emitted by your screen. To do this, click on “Personalization” in the Settings app, and then select “Colors.” Under the “Choose your color” section, select “Dark.”
Step 8: Adjust Contrasts
In addition to changing your screen’s brightness, you can also adjust your display’s contrast settings to make colors appear more vivid. To do this, navigate to “Display” in the Settings app and scroll down to the “Choose your mode” section. From here, you can select “Vivid” or “Customized” to adjust your contrast settings.
Step 9: Calibrate Your Display
If you are a designer or just someone who wants more accurate and true-to-life colors, you can calibrate your display. Windows 10 comes with an inbuilt Calibrate Display Color tool. To access it, navigate to “Display” in the Settings app, and then select “Advanced display settings.” Choose “Calibrate display color” and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 10: Adjust Your Power Plan Settings
By adjusting your power plan settings, you can also optimize your display’s brightness and color settings for your computer’s battery life. To do this, navigate to “Power & sleep” in the Settings app and select “Additional power settings.” Click on “Change plan settings” for your preferred power plan, and then select “Change advanced power settings.” From here, you can adjust your display’s brightness and contrast settings based on your power plan.
Step 11: Adjust Your Graphics Driver
If none of the above steps seem to be working for you, you may need to adjust your graphics driver settings. To do this, right-click on your desktop and select “Graphics Properties.” From here, you can adjust your display’s brightness, contrast, and other display settings.
Step 12: Use Software to Adjust Brightness
If all else fails, you can also use third-party software to adjust your display’s brightness. Programs such as f.lux, Dimmer, or RedShift can help you adjust your screen’s brightness, contrast, and color temperature to your preferences.
Tips and Tricks
1. Use keyboard shortcuts for easier adjustments
To quickly adjust your screen’s brightness without navigating through the Settings app, try using keyboard shortcuts instead. On most keyboards, you can use the Function (Fn) key in combination with the up or down arrow keys to adjust your screen’s brightness.
2. Use night mode for better sleep
By enabling Night mode on your computer, you can reduce the amount of blue light emitted by your screen and enjoy better quality sleep as a result.
3. Use Dark Mode to save battery life
If you have a laptop or other portable device, enabling Dark Mode can help you save battery life by reducing the amount of light emitted by your screen.
4. Use Night Shift on Mac computers
If you have a Mac computer, you can use the Night Shift feature to reduce blue light emissions and make your screen easier on your eyes.
5. Adjust brightness in different lighting conditions
Be sure to adjust your screen’s brightness settings based on the lighting conditions in your environment. For example, if you’re using your computer in a dark room, you’ll likely want to lower the brightness to avoid eye strain.
6. Use contrast settings to enhance image quality
By adjusting your display’s contrast settings, you can enhance the quality of images and videos on your screen.
7. Calibrate your display for better accuracy
If you’re a graphic designer or just someone who values accurate colors, be sure to calibrate your display to ensure that your colors are true-to-life.
8. Use third-party software for more control
If the built-in Windows 10 tools aren’t providing the level of control you need, consider using third-party software to achieve your desired brightness and contrast settings.
9. Keep your screen clean
To ensure that your display’s brightness and color settings are at their best, be sure to clean your screen regularly to remove dust and dirt.
10. Adjust brightness to reduce eye strain
By adjusting your screen’s brightness and contrast settings to reduce eye strain, you can improve your productivity and enjoy longer periods of comfortable computer use.
Advantages of Changing the Brightness on Windows 10
Adjusting the brightness on your Windows 10 device can have a positive impact on your computing experience. Here are 10 advantages of changing the brightness:
- Improved eye comfort: By changing the brightness, you can reduce eye strain and fatigue.
- Extended battery life: Dimming the display can save power and extend the battery life of your device.
- Better image quality: Adjusting the brightness can enhance the visibility of images and videos, making them easier to see and enjoy.
- Reduced glare: A higher brightness setting can lead to glare, which can be distracting and uncomfortable. Lowering the brightness can reduce this glare.
- More comfortable reading: Adjusting brightness can enhance the visibility of text and provide a more comfortable reading experience.
- Improved visibility in different lighting environments: Changing the brightness can increase visibility in both bright and dimly lit environments.
- Reduced heat: Lowering the display brightness can reduce heat emissions from your device.
- Customizable settings: Windows 10 allows you to customize your brightness settings to suit your preferences and needs.
- Easier on the eyes in low-light environments: Dimming the display can help ease eyestrain when using your device in low-light environments.
- Environmental benefits: By reducing power consumption, adjusting the brightness can be beneficial for the environment in the long run.
Disadvantages of Changing the Brightness on Windows 10
While adjusting the brightness on your Windows 10 device has several advantages, there are also some disadvantages to keep in mind. Here are 10 potential downsides:
- Reduced color accuracy: Dimming the display can compromise color accuracy, making it less accurate.
- Decreased contrast: A lower brightness setting can result in duller colors and a reduction in contrast ratio.
- Reduced legibility in bright environments: In bright environments, a lower brightness level can make it harder to see content on the screen.
- Increased eye strain in well-lit environments: A low brightness level can cause eye strain and fatigue in well-lit environments.
- Reduced visibility in direct sunlight: In direct sunlight, a low brightness level can make it difficult to see the content on your device’s screen.
- Loss of brightness control on automatic brightness settings: Automatic brightness settings can be unpredictable and may result in a loss of control over the display brightness.
- Potential for reduced image quality: Adjusting the brightness can sometimes result in a decrease in image quality, such as pixelation or blurriness.
- Not always effective: While adjusting the brightness can be helpful, it may not solve all visibility problems for all users.
- Potential for eyestrain and fatigue: Brightness levels that are too high or too low can lead to eyestrain and fatigue, especially with prolonged use.
- May not save as much power as you think: While dimming the display can save power, the amount is usually not significant and may not be noticeable in daily use.
1. How do I change the brightness on Windows 10?
You can change the brightness on Windows 10 by going to the settings menu. Click on the “Start” button and then select “Settings”. From there, click on “System” and then “Display”. From there, you can adjust the brightness slider to your liking.
2. Is it possible to change the brightness using keyboard shortcuts?
Yes, you can change the brightness using keyboard shortcuts. On most laptops, you can use the “Fn” key and the “F5” or “F6” key to adjust the brightness. However, this may vary depending on your laptop model.
3. Can I change the brightness automatically?
Yes, you can change the brightness automatically by enabling the “Adaptive Brightness” feature. To do this, go to the “Display” settings and toggle on the “Change brightness automatically when lighting changes” option.
4. What do I do if my screen is still too bright or too dim?
If your screen is still too bright or too dim after adjusting the brightness settings, you may need to update your graphics driver. You can do this by going to the manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest driver version.
5. How do I turn off the adaptive brightness feature?
To turn off the adaptive brightness feature, go to the “Display” settings and toggle off the “Change brightness automatically when lighting changes” option.
6. What do I do if I can’t adjust the brightness on my laptop?
If you can’t adjust the brightness on your laptop, try restarting your computer. If this doesn’t work, you may need to update your graphics driver or contact the manufacturer for assistance.
7. Is it possible to adjust the brightness on an external monitor?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness on an external monitor by going to the “Display” settings and selecting the external monitor. From there, you can adjust the brightness slider.
8. Can I adjust the brightness on a touchscreen device?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness on a touchscreen device by swiping from the right edge of the screen and selecting “Settings”. From there, select “Screen” and adjust the brightness slider.
9. How do I adjust the brightness if I’m in tablet mode?
If you’re in tablet mode, swipe down from the top of the screen to open the “Action Center”. From there, select “Brightness” and adjust the slider.
10. Is it possible to adjust the brightness without using the settings menu?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness without using the settings menu by using third-party software or by using keyboard shortcuts.
11. Can I adjust the brightness on Windows 10 mobile devices?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness on Windows 10 mobile devices by swiping down from the top of the screen and selecting “All settings”. From there, select “System” and then “Display” to adjust the brightness slider.
12. What do I do if I experience screen flickering after adjusting the brightness?
If you experience screen flickering after adjusting the brightness, try lowering the brightness level or updating your graphics driver.
13. Can I adjust the brightness on multiple displays at once?
Yes, you can adjust the brightness on multiple displays at once by going to the “Display” settings and selecting the “Multiple displays” option. From there, you can adjust the brightness slider for each display.
How to Change Brightness on Windows 10
Windows 10 is a versatile operating system that offers a lot of options to customize your experience. One of these options is changing the brightness of your screen. The brightness level of your screen has a significant impact on both your productivity and your comfort. Adjusting the brightness appropriately can reduce eye strain and make it easier to read text on your screen. In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to change the brightness on Windows 10.
Conclusion and Closing
Adjusting the brightness on your Windows 10 PC is a simple process that can help to protect your eyes and improve your user experience. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can quickly and easily adjust the brightness level to suit your needs. Remember that finding the right brightness level is all about finding what works for you, and is dependent on the environment you are in. Make sure to experiment with different levels until you find the best one.
We hope you found this article helpful. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading, and we wish you all the best with your Windows 10 experience!