Welcome to this article! Are you tired of looking at the same old boring icons on your Windows 10 desktop? Well, you’re in luck because today we’re going to walk you through the steps on how to change the icons on Windows 10.
But before we get started, it’s important to understand the benefits of changing your icons. Not only can it give your desktop a fresh new look, but it can also make it easier to locate and access your favorite applications.
So without further ado, let’s dive into the steps!
Steps to Change Icons on Windows 10
Step 1: Choose the Icon You Want to Replace
The first step in changing your icons is to choose which icons you want to replace. This could be anything from system icons to third-party application icons.
Step 2: Download New Icons
Next, you’ll need to find and download the new icons you want to use. There are many websites available that offer free icons for download such as IconArchive, Flaticon, and Iconfinder.
Step 3: Save the New Icons to Your Computer
Once you’ve downloaded the new icons, save them to a location on your computer that you’ll be able to access easily later on.
Step 4: Create a Backup of the Existing Icons
Before making any changes, it’s always a good idea to create a backup of your existing icons. This can be done by copying the icons to a new folder on your desktop or in another location.
Step 5: Open the Properties Window for the Icon
Right-click on the icon you want to change and select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
Step 6: Click on the “Change Icon” Button
In the Properties window, click on the “Change Icon” button to open the “Change Icon” dialog box.
Step 7: Browse for the New Icon
Click on the “Browse” button in the “Change Icon” dialog box and navigate to the location where you saved the new icon.
Step 8: Select the New Icon
Once you’ve found the new icon, select it and click on the “OK” button to save the changes.
Step 9: Apply the Changes
Back in the Properties window, click on the “Apply” button to apply the changes to the icon.
Step 10: Check the New Icon
To ensure that the new icon has been applied, close and reopen the application or folder to see the new icon.
Step 11: Repeat for Other Icons
Repeat steps 5-10 for any other icons you wish to change.
Step 12: Restore the Original Icons (If Necessary)
If for any reason you want to restore the original icons, simply copy and paste the backup files you created earlier back into their original location.
Additional Tips and Tricks
1. Use Icons That Suit Your Style
When choosing new icons, make sure you pick ones that match your personal style and preferences.
2. Customize Your Icons
You can customize your icons even further by using icon editors such as IconWorkshop or Axialis IconGenerator to create your own custom icons.
3. Use Icon Packages
There are many icon packages available that offer a wide variety of icons to choose from. Some popular options include Token Icon Pack, Silk Icon Pack, and Windows 10 Icon Pack.
4. Use Shortcut Arrow Remover
If you want to remove the shortcut arrow from your icons, you can use a free tool such as “Shortcut Arrow Remover” to do so.
5. Create Icon Libraries
You can create a library of your favorite icons to use across all your applications and folders for consistency.
6. Use Icon Converters
If you have a favorite image that you’d like to convert to an icon, you can use tools such as Picture to Icon or Online Icon Converter to do so.
7. Use Icon Search Engines
If you’re having trouble finding the perfect icon, you can use search engines such as Iconfinder or Flaticon to find and download the perfect icon for your needs.
8. Use Icon Font Libraries
There are many icon font libraries available that offer vector-based icons that can be easily customized and resized. Some popular options include Font Awesome, Material Design Icons, and Glyphicons.
9. Use Icon Extractors
If you want to extract icons from an application or file, you can use tools such as IconsExtract or Greenfish Icon Editor Pro to do so.
10. Have Fun!
Changing your icons can be a fun and creative way to give your desktop a personal touch. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try new things!
So there you have it, a complete guide on how to change icons on Windows 10 with some additional tips and tricks to get you started. We hope this article has been helpful and that you’re now on your way to a more personalized and aesthetically pleasing desktop. Happy icon hunting!
How to Change Icons on Windows 10: Advantages and Disadvantages
1. Personalization: Changing icons can help personalize your computer and make it feel more like your own.
2. Easier Navigation: With customized icons, it can be easier to navigate your computer and find specific files or programs.
3. Improved Aesthetics: Changing icons can improve the overall look and feel of your computer.
4. Custom Branding: If you have a business or organization, changing icons can help with custom branding and creating a consistent image.
5. Greater Accessibility: Some people may find it easier to use certain icons that have been customized for their needs.
6. Delightful Experience: Changing icons frequently can keep things fresh and exciting, leading to a more delightful experience.
7. Increased Productivity: Custom icons can help make your workflow more efficient and streamlined, leading to increased productivity.
8. Stand Out: Changing icons can help your computer stand out from others and express your unique personality.
9. Easy to Do: Changing icons on Windows 10 is a simple process that anyone can do.
10. Free: There are many websites out there that offer free icon packs, making it easy to change your computer’s look for no cost.
1. Time-Consuming: Changing icons can take some time, especially if you have a lot of them to change.
2. Risky: If you’re not careful, changing system icons can potentially cause problems or even damage your computer.
3. Compatibility Issues: Some icons may not be compatible with certain programs or software, leading to compatibility issues.
4. Overwhelming Choices: With so many icon options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right ones.
5. Reduced Familiarity: If you change too many icons, your computer may start to feel unfamiliar and be harder to navigate.
6. Cluttered Look: If you change too many icons, your computer screen can start to look cluttered and overwhelm the user.
7. Not for Everyone: Some people may prefer the default icons and see customization as unnecessary.
8. Not Always Consistent: If you change some icons but not others, your computer may start to look inconsistent and disorganized.
9. Not Always Professional: If you’re using your computer for work, custom icons may not always look professional.
10. Limited Impact: Changing icons may not have a significant impact on the overall functionality of your computer.
In conclusion, changing icons on Windows 10 can have both advantages and disadvantages. It can help personalize your computer, improve aesthetics, and increase productivity, but it can also be time-consuming, overwhelming, and potentially risky. Ultimately, the decision to change icons on your computer should depend on your individual preferences and needs.
1. How do I change the icons on Windows 10?
You can change the icons on Windows 10 by right-clicking on the icon you want to change, selecting “Properties,” and then clicking on the “Change Icon” button located under the “Shortcut” tab. From there, you can choose from a range of icon options or browse your computer for a custom icon.
2. Can I change the icons for all of my programs?
Yes, you can change the icons for all of your programs by following the same steps mentioned in question number 1.
3. What file types can I change the icons for?
You can change the icons for any file type, including applications, folders, files, and shortcuts.
4. How do I select a custom icon for my program?
You can select a custom icon for your program by clicking on the “Browse” button located under the “Change Icon” window. From there, you can select an icon file located on your computer or elsewhere.
5. Can I change the system icons on Windows 10?
Yes, you can change the system icons on Windows 10 by using third-party software, such as Icon Packager or WinCustomize.
6. Will changing my icons affect my computer’s performance?
No, changing your icons will not affect your computer’s performance in any way.
7. Can I revert back to the original icon?
Yes, you can revert back to the original icon by following the same steps as mentioned in question number 1, but instead of selecting a new icon, simply click on the “Restore Default” button.
8. Can I change the size of the icons?
Yes, you can change the size of the icons by right-clicking on your desktop, selecting “View,” and then choosing between the available options for icon size.
9. Will changing my icons affect my computer’s security?
No, changing your icons will not affect your computer’s security in any way.
10. How do I create my own icons?
You can create your own icons by using software such as Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Paint, or GIMP. There are also online tools available, such as Canva, that allow you to create icons without any design experience.
11. Can I use my own photos as icons?
Yes, you can use your own photos as icons by following the same steps mentioned in question number 1, but instead of selecting a file from your computer, select the photo you want to use as the icon.
12. Can I change the icons on my taskbar?
Yes, you can change the icons on your taskbar by right-clicking on the program you want to change, selecting “Properties,” and then clicking on the “Change Icon” button located under the “Shortcut” tab.
13. Can I change the icons on my Start menu?
Yes, you can change the icons on your Start menu by right-clicking on the program you want to change, selecting “More,” and then clicking on “Open file location.” From there, follow the same steps mentioned in question number 1 to change the icon.
How to Change Icons on Windows 10
Windows 10 has various customization options that allow you to personalize your desktop and user experience. One such feature is the ability to change icons. This can help you give a fresh look to your desktop and make it more appealing to your eyes.
To change icons on Windows 10, you don’t necessarily need any third-party software. The process is simple, and you can do it in a few easy steps.
In conclusion, changing icons on Windows 10 is an easy task that can add some flair and give a fresh look to your user experience. With a few simple clicks, you can customize your icons and make them match your personality and preferences.
Thank you for reading our article on how to change icons on Windows 10. We hope you found the information helpful and easily comprehensible. Don’t hesitate to customize your desktop and make it your own. See you again!