Welcome to this article where we will give you a comprehensive guide on how to change the brightness settings on Windows 10. Windows 10 is one of the most popular operating systems used globally and comes with several features and customization options. If you are unsure of how to adjust the brightness on your Windows 10 computer, this guide is perfect for you.
Steps to Change the Brightness on Windows 10
Step 1: Use the Keyboard Shortcut
One of the easiest ways to change the brightness is by using a keyboard shortcut. On most laptops, the shortcut is Fn + F5/F6 keys. Pressing Fn + F6 will increase the brightness, while pressing Fn + F5 will decrease it. However, if your laptop or computer does not have function keys, you can access the brightness settings from the action center.
Step 2: Use the Action Center
The action center is a feature in Windows 10 that can be accessed by clicking on the speech bubble-shaped icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen. It provides quick access to several settings, including brightness, volume, and network settings. To change the brightness, click on the brightness icon and drag the slider to increase or decrease.
Step 3: Use the Settings App
The Settings app is another way to change the brightness settings on Windows 10. Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app, click on System, and select Display. You will find the brightness slider on the right side. Drag it to increase or decrease the brightness.
Step 4: Use the Battery Saver Mode
Enabling the battery saver mode can help adjust the brightness and conserve battery life. Click on the battery icon on the right side of the taskbar, and then click on the battery saver icon. Once enabled, the brightness will be adjusted automatically.
Step 5: Update Graphics Driver
If you are experiencing issues with the brightness settings, updating your graphics driver can resolve the problem. Open Device Manager, expand the Display Adapters, and right-click on your graphics card. Select Update Driver Software, and follow the instructions.
Step 6: Use Third-Party Software
Several third-party software can help you change the brightness, color temperature, and contrast settings. Examples include F.lux, WindowFX, and Dimmer. Download and install the software of your choice, and follow the instructions to adjust the brightness settings.
Step 7: Use Keyboard Software
If you have a gaming keyboard, the software that comes with it may have a feature to adjust the brightness. Install the software and follow the instructions to customize the brightness settings.
Step 8: Change Brightness on Multiple Displays
If you have multiple displays connected to your computer, you can adjust the brightness for each display separately. Open the Settings app, click on System, and select Display. Select the display you want to adjust and drag the brightness slider accordingly.
Step 9: Check for Display Settings
If none of the above steps are working, you can check if your display has settings for adjusting the brightness. Check the manual or website of your display manufacturer for instructions on how to change the brightness.
Step 10: Use the Calibration Tool
The Calibration tool is a built-in Windows 10 feature that can help adjust the color brightness, contrast, and gamma. To access the Calibration tool, search for Calibrate Display in the Start menu and follow the instructions.
Step 11: Use Hotkeys
Some laptops come with dedicated hotkeys for adjusting the brightness. Check your laptop manual or manufacturer website for instructions on how to use the hotkeys.
Step 12: Use PowerShell
PowerShell is a command-line tool in Windows 10 that can be used to adjust the brightness settings. Open PowerShell as an administrator, and type the command “Get-DisplayBrightness” to check the current brightness. To change the brightness, type “Set-DisplayBrightness -Brightness [Value]” and replace [Value] with the desired brightness value between 0 and 100.
Other Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Use Night Light
The Night Light feature reduces the blue light emitted from your computer at night. It helps reduce eye strain and makes it easier to sleep. To enable Night Light, open the Settings app, go to System, and select Display. Toggle the Night Light switch on.
Tip 2: Adjust Contrast and Color Settings
Adjusting the contrast and color settings can help improve the overall picture quality. Open the Settings app, click on System, and select Display. Scroll down and click on Advanced display settings. Select the display you want to adjust, and click on Display adapter properties. Click on the Color Management tab, and follow the instructions.
Tip 3: Create a Custom Power Plan
Creating a custom power plan can help optimize the brightness settings and conserve battery life. Open the Settings app, click on System, and select Power & sleep. Click on Additional power settings, and select Create a power plan. Follow the instructions to create a custom power plan.
Tip 4: Use a Screen Filter
Using a screen filter can help improve the picture quality and reduce glare. There are several types of screen filters available, including anti-glare and privacy filters. Check your manufacturer website for compatible filters.
Tip 5: Use the High-Dynamic Range (HDR) Feature
If your computer has an HDR-compatible display, using the HDR feature can help improve the picture quality. Open the Settings application, click on Apps, and select Video playback. Under the “Play HDR games and apps” section, toggle the switch to on.
Tip 6: Adjust the Refresh Rate
Adjusting the refresh rate can help reduce eye strain and improve the picture quality. Open the Settings app, click on System, and select Display. Scroll down and click on Advanced display settings. Select the display you want to adjust, click on Display adapter properties, and select the Monitor tab. Follow the instructions to adjust the refresh rate.
Tip 7: Disconnect External Displays
If you are experiencing issues with the brightness settings, disconnecting any external displays can help fix the problem.
Tip 8: Use the Magnifier
Using the Magnifier can help improve visibility and make it easier to read on your computer. To access the Magnifier, search for Magnifier in the Start menu and follow the instructions.
Tip 9: Reduce Background Apps
Reducing the number of background apps can help improve the overall performance, reduce battery consumption, and optimize the brightness settings. Open the Settings app, go to Privacy, and select Background apps. Toggle off any unnecessary apps.
Tip 10: Keep Your Drivers Up to Date
Keeping your drivers up to date can help prevent issues with the brightness settings. Check for updates regularly and install them as soon as possible.
Changing the brightness settings on Windows 10 is easy and straightforward. With these simple steps and tips, you can optimize your display’s brightness and improve your overall computing experience. We hope this new knowledge helps you in your future endeavors with Windows 10.
Advantages and Disadvantages: How to Change the Brightness on Windows 10
1. Easy to Access: Changing the brightness on Windows 10 is easy and accessible. You can do it with just a few clicks.
2. Customizable Brightness Settings: Windows 10 offers plenty of customizable brightness settings to allow you to adjust the screen display to your liking.
3. Saves Battery Life: Dimming the screen brightness can help save battery life on your laptop or mobile device.
4. Reduces Eye Strain: Lowering the screen brightness can reduce eye strain, which makes it ideal for those who use their computer for long periods of time.
5. Improves Sleep Quality: Bright screens may interfere with sleep quality. Lowering the screen brightness can help improve your sleep quality.
6. Environmentally Friendly: By lowering the screen brightness of your device, you can save electricity, reduce power consumption, and do your part for the environment.
7. Helps Prevent Overheating: Reducing the brightness of your device can help prevent overheating, especially if you’re using a laptop or mobile device.
8. Customizable Brightness Shortcuts: You can create custom keyboard shortcuts to adjust brightness quickly, which makes the process even more convenient.
9. Compatible with Multiple Devices: The brightness settings on Windows 10 work across multiple devices, including laptops, desktops, and mobile devices.
10. Other Options Available: Windows 10 offers a range of other options to reduce and customize the overall brightness of your display, such as Night Light and Dark Mode.
1. Limited Brightness Control: Some users may feel that the limited brightness control on Windows 10 is not enough to achieve their desired brightness level.
2. Inconsistency in Brightness Levels: Depending on the device, different levels of brightness may appear differently on Windows 10, leading to inconsistency.
3. May Affect Color Accuracy: Reducing the brightness on your device may affect the color accuracy of your display, which may not be ideal for certain professions, such as graphic design.
4. Not Compatible with All Devices: Some older devices or displays may not be compatible with the brightness settings on Windows 10.
5. Automatic Brightness Settings May Not Work: The automatic brightness settings on Windows 10 may not work consistently or accurately.
6. Does Not Increase Visibility: Lowering the brightness settings may not improve visibility in bright environments and could still cause eye strain.
7. May Require Adjustment After Updates: Updates to Windows 10 may require you to readjust your brightness settings.
8. May Affect Battery Performance: While reducing brightness can save battery life, it can also affect performance during high-intensity tasks, such as gaming or video editing.
9. Limited Impact on Overall Energy Usage: Lowering the brightness settings may not noticeably affect overall energy usage on your device.
10. Personal Preferences May Not Align: Some users may simply prefer brighter or dimmer screens, which may not always align with recommended or optimal brightness settings.
1. How do I change the brightness on Windows 10?
To change the brightness on Windows 10, go to the “Action Center” in the lower right-hand corner of your screen. Find the “brightness” button and adjust it to your desired level.
2. What if I don’t see the brightness button in the Action Center?
If you don’t see the brightness button in the Action Center, click on the “Expand” button to reveal all available options, including the brightness button.
3. Can I use my keyboard to adjust brightness on Windows 10?
Yes, you can use the keyboard to adjust brightness on Windows 10. Look for the “Fn” (function) key on your keyboard and the “brightness” keys, usually represented by a sun or lightbulb symbol.
4. What if my keyboard doesn’t have brightness keys?
If your keyboard doesn’t have brightness keys, you can still adjust brightness through the Windows settings. Go to “Settings” > “System” > “Display” and use the slider under “Brightness and color” to adjust the brightness level.
5. My display is too dark even after adjusting the brightness. What should I do?
If your display is still too dark after adjusting the brightness, go to “Settings” > “System” > “Display” and turn on “Night light” to reduce blue light and improve visibility.
6. How do I turn off Night light on Windows 10?
To turn off Night light, simply go to “Settings” > “System” > “Display” and toggle off the “Night light” button.
7. Can I schedule Night light to turn on and off automatically?
Yes, you can schedule Night light to turn on and off automatically by going to “Settings” > “System” > “Display” and clicking on “Night light settings”. From there, you can set a schedule and adjust the color temperature.
8. What is the difference between brightness and contrast?
Brightness refers to the overall lightness or darkness of the display, while contrast refers to the difference between the lightest and darkest parts of the display. Adjusting contrast can improve the clarity and sharpness of images and text.
9. Can I adjust contrast on Windows 10?
Yes, you can adjust contrast on Windows 10 by going to “Settings” > “System” > “Display” and using the slider under “Contrast”. Note that not all displays support contrast adjustments.
10. What if I want to reset my display settings?
If you want to reset your display settings to default, go to “Settings” > “System” > “Display” and click on “Advanced display settings”. From there, click on “Display adapter properties” and then click on “Monitor”. Finally, click on “Properties” and then “Driver” and select “Roll Back Driver” or “Uninstall Device”.
11. Will resetting my display settings affect other settings or files on my PC?
No, resetting your display settings should not affect other settings or files on your PC. However, if you are concerned, it is always a good idea to back up important files before making any significant changes.
12. What if I cannot adjust brightness or contrast even after trying multiple methods?
If you are unable to adjust brightness or contrast even after trying multiple methods, you may need to update or reinstall your graphics driver. Go to “Device Manager” and locate your graphics driver. Right-click on it and select “Update driver” or “Uninstall device”.
13. How do I find out which graphics driver I am currently using?
You can find out which graphics driver you are currently using by going to “Device Manager” and clicking on “Display adapters”. Right-click on the graphics driver and select “Properties”. Finally, click on the “Driver” tab to see the driver details.
How to Change the Brightness on Windows 10
Are you having trouble figuring out how to adjust the brightness on your Windows 10 device? Look no further because in this article, we will guide you step-by-step on how to change the brightness on your Windows 10 device.
We hope this article has been helpful in assisting you with changing the brightness on your Windows 10 device. Adjusting the brightness can help reduce eye strain and save battery life, especially when using your device for extended periods of time. If you have any further questions, feel free to leave a comment below.
We appreciate you taking the time to read this article and we hope it has been informative for you. Remember to take breaks when using your device for extended periods of time and always adjust the brightness to a comfortable level for your eyes. Thank you for reading, and until next time!