Welcome to our tutorial on “How to Delete Cookies on Windows 10”. We understand that cookies are an important aspect of browsing experience but they can also accumulate over time, taking up extra memory space on your computer and potentially exposing your personal information to hackers. In this article, we will guide you through 12 easy steps to delete cookies on your Windows 10 device.
Step-by-Step Guide: Deleting Cookies on Windows 10
Step 1: Open the Microsoft Edge Browser
On Windows 10 devices, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. Click on the Microsoft Edge icon located on your taskbar to launch it.
Step 2: Click on the Three Dots Icon
On the top right-hand corner of your screen, you will see three dots arranged vertically. Click on this icon to open a menu.
Step 3: Click on Settings
In the menu that appears, click on “Settings”. This will take you to a new page with a list of options.
Step 4: Click on “Privacy, Search, and Services”
On the left-hand side of the page, you will see a list of options. Click on “Privacy, Search, and Services” to open a new menu.
Step 5: Click on “Choose what to Clear”
Scroll down the page until you see the “Clear Browsing Data” section. Click on “Choose what to Clear”.
Step 6: Select “Cookies and Other Site Data”
In the new menu that appears, select “Cookies and Other Site Data”. This will ensure that only cookies and site data are deleted, while other important information is kept intact.
Step 7: Click on “Clear Now”
Click on the “Clear Now” button located at the bottom of the page. This will automatically delete all cookies and other site data stored in Microsoft Edge.
Step 8: Open Internet Options
Open the Control Panel on your computer and select “Internet Options”.
Step 9: Click on the “General” tab
In the “Internet Options” menu, click on the “General” tab located at the top.
Step 10: Under “Browsing History”, Click on “Delete”
Scroll down to the “Browsing History” section and click on the “Delete” button.
Step 11: Select “Cookies and Website Data”
In the new menu that appears, select “Cookies and Website Data”. This will ensure that all cookies are deleted.
Step 12: Click on “Delete”
Click on the “Delete” button located at the bottom-right corner of the menu. This will delete all cookies and website data stored on your computer.
Now that you have successfully deleted cookies on your Windows 10 device, there are a few additional tips and tricks you can follow to maintain your computer’s performance and security.
Tips and Tricks
1. Clear your cookies regularly
By regularly deleting cookies, you can help keep your browsing experience clean and efficient.
2. Use Private Browsing
When using Private Browsing mode, your browsing history and cookies are not stored, which will help protect your privacy.
3. Set up automatic cookie deletion
You can automate the process of deleting cookies by setting up your browser to automatically delete them after a certain period of time.
4. Use Anti-Malware Software
Using anti-malware software can help protect your computer from threats such as viruses and hackers.
5. Keep your browser updated
Regularly update your browser to ensure that you have the latest security features and fixes.
6. Be careful when clicking on links or downloading attachments
Avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading attachments from unknown sources to protect against malware.
7. Use a VPN
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can provide an additional layer of security when browsing online.
8. Disable Third-Party Cookies
Disabling third-party cookies can help prevent advertisers from tracking your online activity.
9. Use Password Manager
Using a password manager can help protect your online accounts by generating strong and unique passwords.
10. Keep your system updated
Regularly update your operating system to ensure that you have the latest security patches and features.
By following these tips and tricks, you can optimize your browsing experience and protect your computer from online threats.
Advantages and Disadvantages of How to Delete Cookies Windows 10
1. Improves Privacy – By deleting cookies on Windows 10, you protect your personal data from being collected, tracked, and shared by online companies or advertisers.
2. Fixes Website Errors – Deleting cookies may help to fix misbehaving or slow-loading websites, making your browsing experience more enjoyable.
3. Boosts Performance – Cookies can slow down your browser and take up storage space on your computer. By deleting them, you can improve performance and make your computer run faster.
4. Protection from Malware – Cookies can sometimes be used by hackers to deliver malware and other viruses on your computer. By deleting them regularly, you can reduce the risk of cyber-attacks.
5. Removes Old and Unwanted Cookies – Over time, cookies accumulate on your browser, and some of them become outdated or irrelevant. By deleting them, you can keep your browser clean and organized.
1. Loss of Custom Settings – Deleting cookies can also delete custom settings, such as saved passwords or preferences on some websites, making them less convenient to use.
2. Inconvenience – Removing cookies means you have to manually sign in to websites you use regularly, which can be time-consuming and frustrating.
4. Limited Control – Some cookies are essential for websites to function correctly, and deleting them may cause some websites to malfunction.
5. Less Relevant Advertisements – If you delete cookies, the advertisements you see may become less relevant to you, as they won’t be based on your browsing history.
1. What are cookies?
Cookies are small files that websites store on your computer to remember your preferences, login details, and browsing behavior.
2. Why do I need to delete cookies?
Sometimes, cookies can accumulate and take up space on your computer, or they could contain sensitive information that you don’t want to be saved. Deleting cookies can help protect your privacy and free up space on your computer.
3. How do I access my cookies on Windows 10?
Open Microsoft Edge and click on the three dots at the upper right corner and go to Settings, then click on Cookies and site permissions, and finally click on Manage and delete cookies and site data.
4. Can you delete cookies for a specific website?
Yes, you can delete cookies for a specific website by going to the Edge settings and clicking on Cookies and site permissions, then selecting the website you want to delete cookies from.
5. Will deleting cookies log me out of all my accounts?
Deleting cookies will log you out of any website where you were previously logged in.
6. Can I set my browser to automatically delete cookies?
Yes, you can set your browser to automatically delete cookies by going to the Edge settings, clicking on Privacy, search and services, and clicking on Choose what to clear every time you close the browser.
7. Can clearing my cache and cookies speed up my computer?
Clearing your cache and cookies can help speed up your computer by freeing up space taken up by these files.
8. What is the difference between clearing cookies and clearing cache?
Clearing cookies will delete all website preference and login details while clearing cache will delete saved website data that speed up the browsing of websites.
9. Will clearing cookies affect my saved bookmarks?
No, clearing cookies will not affect saved bookmarks.
10. Is it safe to delete cookies?
Yes, it is safe to delete cookies. However, be aware that some websites may not function properly without cookies.
11. Can deleted cookies be recovered?
No, once cookies are deleted, they cannot be recovered.
12. How often should I delete cookies?
It is recommended to delete cookies regularly, like once a month, to keep your computer clean and protect your privacy.
13. Do I need to exit my browser to delete cookies?
No, you don’t need to exit your browser to delete cookies. You can do it while your browser is open.
In conclusion, deleting cookies in Windows 10 is an essential task that every user should know how to do. Cookies can accumulate over time and take up valuable disk space, affecting the overall performance of your computer. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can get rid of unwanted cookies and protect your privacy at the same time. Remember to clear your cookies periodically, especially after visiting unfamiliar websites.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article on how to delete cookies in Windows 10. We hope that you found it informative and useful. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. Don’t forget to share this article with others who may find it helpful. Until next time, happy computing!