Hello readers, today we will be discussing a very common issue that many Windows 10 users have faced – the issue of disabling touch screen. There can be several reasons for someone wanting to disable their touch screen – to save battery life, to prevent accidental touches and so on. Whatever may be the reason, we are here to guide you through all the steps necessary to disable touch screen on Windows 10.
Steps to Disable Touch Screen on Windows 10
Step 1: Open Device Manager
The first step in disabling touch screen is to open the Device Manager. You can do this by typing ‘Device Manager’ in the search box and pressing Enter.
Step 2: Expand Human Interface Devices
In the Device Manager, expand the ‘Human Interface Devices’ tab by clicking on the arrow next to it.
Step 3: Locate Touch Screen Device
Next, locate the touch screen device among the list of devices. It may be named ‘HID-compliant touch screen’ or something similar.
Step 4: Right-Click and Select Disable
Once you have located the touch screen device, right-click on it and select ‘Disable’ from the options menu.
Step 5: Confirm Disable
A confirmation box will appear asking if you really want to disable the device. Click ‘Yes’ to confirm.
Step 6: Reboot Your System
After you have disabled the touch screen, it is recommended that you reboot your system to ensure the changes have taken effect.
Step 7: Test Touch Screen
Once your system has rebooted, test your touch screen to make sure it has been successfully disabled.
Step 8: Restore Touch Screen (if required)
If you ever need to re-enable your touch screen, simply follow the same steps and select ‘Enable’ instead of ‘Disable’ in Step 4.
Step 9: Registry Edit (for permanent solution)
If you want a more permanent solution, you can edit your system registry to disable the touch screen. Open the Registry Editor by typing ‘regedit’ in the search box and pressing Enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\DeviceInstall\Devicexxx\Settings where ‘Devicexxx’ is the name of your touch screen device. Once there, modify the ‘Change’ key value to ‘0’ and restart your system.
Step 10: Create a Shortcut for Disabling Touch Screen
If you want to be able to disable your touch screen with just one click, you can create a shortcut for it. Right-click on your desktop, select ‘New’ and then ‘Shortcut’. In the box that appears, type ‘devmanview.exe /disable “HID-compliant touch screen”‘ and click ‘Next’. Give your shortcut a name, and click ‘Finish’.
Step 11: Use Third-Party Software
If you are not comfortable editing your registry or creating shortcuts, you can also use third-party software like Touchpad Blocker or TouchDisable to disable your touch screen.
Step 12: Contact Manufacturer Support
If none of the above steps work for you, or if you face any issues while attempting them, it is recommended that you contact your device manufacturer’s support team for assistance.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Use Touchpad Instead
If you have a laptop with a touch screen, consider using the touchpad instead of the touch screen to navigate your system. This will not only save your battery life but also prevent accidental touches.
Tip 2: Use Third-Party Tools
As mentioned earlier, you can use third-party tools like Touchpad Blocker or TouchDisable to disable your touch screen. These tools are easy to use and do not require any technical skills.
Tip 3: Regularly Update Your Drivers
Make sure to regularly update your touch screen drivers to ensure that your device is functioning optimally. Outdated drivers can cause several issues, including touch screen malfunction.
Tip 4: Use a Screen Protector
To prevent scratches and accidental touches on your touch screen, consider using a screen protector. This will not only protect your screen but also improve its durability.
Tip 5: Keep Your Device Clean
Clean your touch screen regularly with a soft, lint-free cloth to prevent the accumulation of dust and other contaminants that can interfere with touch sensitivity.
Tip 6: Always Backup Your Data
Before attempting any changes to your system, it is always recommended that you backup your data to prevent loss in case something goes wrong.
Tip 7: Switch to Tablet Mode
If you are using a device with Windows 10, you can switch to the tablet mode to optimize your device for touch screen use. This mode can be easily toggled under the ‘Tablet mode’ option in the settings menu.
Tip 8: Consult Online Forums
If you face any issues while disabling your touch screen, consider consulting online forums for assistance. There are several communities with users who have faced similar issues and can provide valuable insights.
Tip 9: Use Windows Troubleshooter
If you face any issues with your touch screen, consider using the built-in Windows troubleshooter to diagnose and solve the problem.
Tip 10: Stay Up-to-Date with Windows Updates
Make sure to regularly download and install Windows updates to ensure that your system is functioning optimally and that any security vulnerabilities are patched.
We hope this article has helped you disable your touch screen on Windows 10 successfully. Remember to always be cautious while making changes to your system and to backup your data before attempting any changes.
Kelebihan dan Kekurangan of Disabling Touch Screen on Windows 10
Touch screen is a convenient and intuitive feature of modern computers, but there may be situations where you want to disable it on your Windows 10 device. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so:
1. No accidental touch input: If you use a device that supports touch screen, you may accidentally input something on the screen without realizing it. By disabling the touch screen, you can avoid this issue and increase accuracy in your work.
2. Better battery life: Touch screen is a power-hungry feature that consumes a lot of energy. By turning it off, you can extend the battery life of your device.
3. Increased privacy: If you work on sensitive information, you may want to disable the touch screen to prevent others from seeing what you are doing. By doing so, you can increase your privacy and security.
4. Reduced screen smudging: Touch screens are notorious for accumulating fingerprint smudges and other stains. By turning it off, you can reduce the need for frequent cleaning and improve the appearance of your screen.
5. Better compatibility: Some legacy applications or games may not work well with touch input. By disabling the touch screen, you can ensure that all your software runs smoothly.
1. Limited functionality: Touch screen is a useful feature that allows you to interact with your device in new ways. By disabling it, you may miss out on some benefits and convenience.
2. Inconvenience for some users: If you are used to touch screen and enjoy its benefits, disabling it may feel like a step backward. You may have to get used to using a mouse or keyboard again.
3. Additional steps: Disabling touch screen requires you to access the Device Manager and make some changes to your system settings, which can be time-consuming and cumbersome.
4. Limited customization: The touch screen interface allows you to customize your device and set up shortcuts and gestures according to your preferences. By disabling it, you lose some of that flexibility.
5. Reduced resale value: If you plan to sell your device in the future, disabling the touch screen may reduce its appeal and value, especially if touch screen is a popular feature among buyers.
Overall, disabling touch screen on Windows 10 has both advantages and disadvantages, and the decision to do so should depend on your specific needs and preferences.
1. What is a touch screen?
A touch screen is a display that can detect the presence and location of a touch within the display area. It can be used to input commands or control information displayed on the screen.
2. Why would someone want to disable the touch screen on a Windows 10 device?
There are various reasons why someone may want to disable the touch screen on a Windows 10 device. It could be due to accidental touches or if the user prefers using a keyboard and mouse instead of the touch screen.
3. Can the touch screen be disabled permanently?
Yes, it is possible to disable the touch screen permanently through the device’s settings.
4. How do I access the touch screen settings on Windows 10?
First, click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen. From there, select “Settings” and then choose “Devices”. Finally, select “Touchpad” or “Pen & Windows Ink” depending on your device and select the option to disable the touch screen.
5. Can I temporarily disable the touch screen?
Yes, the touch screen can be temporarily disabled by using a keyboard shortcut or through the Device Manager.
6. What is the keyboard shortcut to disable the touch screen?
The keyboard shortcut to disable the touch screen is Windows key + X followed by selecting “Device Manager”. From there, select “Human Interface Devices” and right-click on the touch screen device. Select “Disable device” to temporarily disable the touch screen.
7. How do I re-enable the touch screen after it has been disabled?
To re-enable the touch screen, follow the same steps as disabling it but select “Enable device” instead of “Disable device”.
8. Can I disable the touch screen on a tablet and still use the pen?
Yes, it is possible to disable the touch screen and still use the pen on Windows 10 tablets.
9. How do I disable only the touch screen and not the pen on a tablet?
To disable only the touch screen and not the pen on a tablet, select “Pen & Windows Ink” from the Devices settings and then select “Press and hold”. This will bring up an additional option to ignore touch input when using the pen.
10. Will disabling the touch screen affect the performance or functionality of my device?
No, disabling the touch screen should not affect the performance or functionality of your device in any way.
11. Will disabling the touch screen use less battery power?
Disabling the touch screen may use slightly less battery power since the device is not constantly detecting touch input.
12. How do I know if the touch screen on my device is disabled?
You can tell if the touch screen on your device is disabled by trying to touch the screen and seeing if there is any response. If there is no response, then the touch screen is disabled.
13. Can I disable the touch screen on a desktop computer?
It is unlikely that a desktop computer would have a touch screen, but if it does, then the touch screen can be disabled using the same steps as on a laptop or tablet device.
How to Disable Touch Screen on Windows 10
Windows 10 is a versatile operating system that has many convenient features available to its users. One of these features is the touch screen interface, which allows you to interact with your computer using your fingers. However, some users may prefer to disable the touch screen feature for various reasons such as avoiding unintentional clicks or preserving battery life. In this article, we will show you how to disable touch screen on Windows 10.
In conclusion, disabling touch screen on Windows 10 can be a useful option for users who prefer to work with a keyboard and mouse or a stylus. It can also help conserve battery life and reduce accidental clicks. We hope that this article has been helpful in showing you how to disable touch screen on Windows 10.
Thank you for reading this article on how to disable touch screen on Windows 10. We hope that you found it informative and useful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.
Goodbye and happy computing!