When we work on our computers, we often make use of the full-screen feature to concentrate on our work. However, there are times when we need to exit the full screen and attend to other activities. Many people find it challenging to exit the full screen, especially if they are new to computers. If you’re one of those who finds it challenging to exit the full screen, don’t worry, we got you covered.
In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to exit full screen windows easily. Before we proceed to the steps, we would like to highlight the importance of knowing how to exit full screen. This knowledge will help you work efficiently, multitask better, and minimize distractions on your computer. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the steps on how to exit full screen windows.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Exit Full Screen Windows
Step 1: Check the top of the screen for a menu or toolbar
The majority of applications that allow the full-screen feature have a menu or a toolbar at the top of the screen. Move your cursor to the top of the screen, and the toolbar should reveal itself. Look for an icon that appears as a square or two overlapping squares, which is the full-screen icon. Click on the icon to disable full-screen mode.
Step 2: Use keyboard shortcuts
Many applications will be equipped with keyboard shortcuts to exit full screen directly. For windows users, pressing the F11 key should exit full screen without any hassle.
Step 3: Use the Esc key
The Esc key is one of the most commonly used keys for exiting full-screen mode. Pressing the Esc key will exit full screen in most applications, including Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Office.
Step 4: Look for hidden buttons
It’s not uncommon for applications to hide the exit full-screen button. Look for a hidden button at the bottom or top of the screen, or to the side of the application window. You might also find a minimized icon that’s hidden within the application.
Step 5: Right-click and close
Right-clicking on the minimized application icon on the taskbar will display an application menu. Select the “Close” option from the menu, and the program will exit full-screen mode and close.
Step 6: Use taskbar previews
In Windows 7 and later, hovering the mouse over a taskbar icon will preview that application’s open windows. Right-click the preview of the full-screen window and select the “Close” option.
Step 7: Use the Control key
Using the control key combined with other keys can be effective in exiting full-screen mode. Pressing the “Ctrl + Shift + F” key combination will exit full screen on most applications.
Step 8: Use Task Manager
When all else fails, the Task Manager is always there to help. Open the Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Del,” then select the application running in full-screen mode and click the “End task” button.
Step 9: Reboot your computer
If the above steps didn’t work, rebooting your computer is always the last resort. Restarting your computer will not only exit full screen, but it will also solve any other issues you might be experiencing.
Step 10: Check for updates
Make sure you have the latest version of the application installed on your computer. Updating your application to the latest version can solve any bugs and issues and make exiting full screen a lot easier.
Step 11: Seek help from support
If you have tried the above steps and still can’t exit full screen, it’s time to seek help from the application support team. They’ll be able to provide you with more detailed instructions on how to exit full screen.
Step 12: Don’t panic and stay calm
Lastly, don’t panic and stay calm when you can’t exit full screen. Take a break and try again when you come back. Remember, the solution is often simpler than you think.
Tips and Tricks for Exiting Full Screen
Tip 1: Always look for the full-screen icon on the toolbar
As we mentioned earlier, most applications have a toolbar with a full-screen icon at the top of the screen. It’s always good to look for it first before trying other methods.
Tip 2: Be patient
Don’t rush when trying to exit full screen. Be patient and try all the possible methods available.
Tip 3: Use the help function
If you can’t find the full-screen icon or can’t figure out how to exit full screen, use the help function of the application, and you might find the solution there.
Tip 4: Read the instructions carefully
Always read the instructions carefully before attempting to exit full screen. Misinterpreting the instructions can lead to more confusion and frustration.
Tip 5: Keep your software up to date
Keeping your software up to date can solve a lot of issues and make exiting full screen a lot easier.
Tip 6: Don’t hesitate to ask for help
If you’ve exhausted all the possible options and can’t exit full screen, don’t hesitate to ask for help from the application’s support team or someone who knows how to do it.
Tip 7: Make use of online tutorials and forums
There are plenty of online tutorials and forums that can offer you support and guidance on how to exit full screen.
Tip 8: Keep calm and don’t panic
As we mentioned earlier, staying calm and composed is key when trying to exit full screen. Don’t panic, take a deep breath, and try again.
Tip 9: Use the trial and error method
Experimenting with different methods until you find the one that’s right for you is always an option. Use the trial and error method, and you might end up discovering a new way to exit full screen.
Tip 10: Remember to save your work
Lastly, always remember to save your work before exiting full screen. You don’t want to risk losing all your work due to an unexpected technical issue.
Advantages and Disadvantages of How to Exit Full Screen Windows
1. Saves time: Exiting full screen windows using keyboard shortcuts or other methods can save you time. You don’t have to waste time looking for the “x” button or right-clicking to exit full screen mode.
2. Improved productivity: With more time on your hands, you can focus on your work and increase your productivity. You won’t get distracted by navigating around the full screen mode, and this can help you to stay on task.
3. Better user experience: Exiting full screen mode can give you more control over the application or website you are using. You can easily switch between tabs, windows, or applications without experiencing any lag or slowdown.
4. Easier navigation: If you are using multiple applications or websites at the same time, exiting full screen mode can make it easier to navigate between them. You can open new windows or applications and quickly switch between them without any hassle.
5. Saves battery life: Exiting full screen mode can help you save battery life, especially if you are using a laptop or mobile device. Running applications or websites in full screen mode can drain the battery faster than normal, so exiting full screen mode can help you save power.
1. Can be confusing: Some people find it difficult to exit full screen mode, especially if they are not familiar with keyboard shortcuts or other methods. This can be frustrating and may cause problems if you need to exit full screen mode quickly.
2. Limited screen real estate: Exiting full screen mode can reduce the amount of screen real estate available to you. This can be a problem if you need to work with multiple applications or websites at the same time.
3. Slower performance: Exiting full screen mode can cause some applications or websites to run slower than usual. This can be a problem if you need to work with applications or websites that require high performance.
4. Risk of losing work: If you are working on a project and accidentally exit full screen mode, you may lose your work. This can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially if you have to redo a lot of work.
5. Varying experience: Exiting full screen mode can have different effects depending on the application or website you are using. Some applications or websites may not work well in non-full screen mode, and this can cause problems if you need to use them for work or study.
1. How do I exit full screen mode on Windows?
To exit full screen mode on Windows, simply press the F11 key on your keyboard. This will toggle you back to the regular window view.
2. Why is my window stuck in full screen mode?
There could be several reasons why your window is stuck in full screen mode. One reason could be that your computer is experiencing technical issues. Try restarting your computer and see if the problem persists. Another reason could be that the application you’re using has a full screen mode that’s hard to exit. In this case, try looking for an “exit full screen” button within the application.
3. How do I exit full screen mode on a browser?
If you’re viewing a webpage in full screen mode on your browser, simply press the F11 key on your keyboard. This will toggle you back to the regular window view.
4. Can I exit full screen mode on a Mac?
Yes, on a Mac, simply press the control key and the command key at the same time, then press the F key. This will exit full screen mode.
5. How do I exit full screen mode on a PowerPoint presentation?
To exit full screen mode on a PowerPoint presentation, press the Esc key on your keyboard. This will take you out of the presentation and back to the regular PowerPoint application.
6. How do I fix my computer if it gets stuck in full screen mode?
If your computer gets stuck in full screen mode, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, try closing the application you’re using and reopening it. If the issue still isn’t resolved, you may need to seek technical assistance.
7. Is there a way to exit full screen mode without using the keyboard?
Yes, there may be an “exit full screen” button within the application you’re using. Look for an icon that resembles two arrows pointing in opposite directions, or a button with the words “exit full screen” written on it.
8. How can I make it so my application doesn’t automatically go into full screen mode?
If your application keeps going into full screen mode automatically, check the settings within the application to see if there’s an option to turn off automatic full screen mode. If there isn’t, try looking online for a solution or reach out to the application’s customer service team for assistance.
9. What should I do if my F11 key isn’t working?
If your F11 key isn’t working, try pressing the Fn key in combination with the F11 key. If that still doesn’t work, try restarting your computer. If the issue persists, you may need to get your keyboard repaired or replaced.
10. Can I exit full screen mode on a tablet or smartphone?
Yes, you can typically exit full screen mode on a tablet or smartphone by swiping down from the top of the screen, or by pressing the home button on your device. However, the specific process may vary depending on your device and the application you’re using.
11. How do I exit full screen mode on a video?
To exit full screen mode on a video, look for an icon that resembles two arrows pointing in opposite directions or the word “exit full screen” within the video player. Click on this icon or word to exit fullscreen mode.
12. How do I exit full screen mode on a game?
The process for exiting full screen mode on a game may vary depending on the game you’re playing. Try pressing the Esc key on your keyboard or looking for an “exit full screen” button within the game itself.
13. Can I customize the way I exit full screen mode?
It’s possible to customize the way you exit full screen mode in some applications by going into the settings or preferences menu. Look for an option that says something like “customize exit full screen,” and from there, you may be able to choose your preferred method of exiting full screen mode.
How to Exit Full-Screen Windows
Have you ever found yourself stuck in a full-screen window and unable to exit? This can be frustrating, especially if you need to get back to other tasks on your computer. Here are some tips on how to exit full-screen windows on Windows and Mac computers.
Conclusion and Closing
No one likes being stuck in a full-screen window, but thankfully there are ways to exit it on both Windows and Mac computers. Whether you prefer using keyboard shortcuts or navigating through menus, the important thing is that you know how to get out of the full-screen mode quickly and easily. So the next time you find yourself trapped in that pesky window, remember these tips and you’ll be back to your other tasks in no time. Thanks for reading!