Welcome to our article on how to screen capture in Windows 10! Screen captures are an essential function for anyone who wants to create tutorials, explain a problem, or simply capture a moment. Windows 10 makes it very easy to take screenshots with a range of options available, including timed captures and annotations. In this article, we’ll explore twelve steps to help you take the perfect screenshot in Windows 10.
Step-by-Step Guide to Screen Capture in Windows 10
Step 1: Locate the Print Screen Button on Your Keyboard
The Print Screen key is located in the upper right corner of your keyboard. It may also be labeled as ‘PrtScn’ or ‘PrtSc.’
Step 2: Press the Print Screen Button
This will take a screenshot of your entire screen.
Step 3: Use the Windows + Print Screen Keyboard Shortcut
Pressing Windows + Print Screen button will capture the entire screen directly to your Pictures folder. This shortcut is only available on Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
Step 4: Use the Snipping Tool
The snipping tool is a built-in screen capture tool that allows you to capture any part of your screen. It can be found in the Start menu under Windows Accessories.
Step 5: Select the Type of Snip
Once the Snipping Tool is open, click on ‘New’ to select the type of snip you want: Free-form snip, Rectangular snip, Window snip, or Full-screen snip.
Step 6: Drag and Select the Area You Want to Capture
This step applies only to Free-form Snipping. Select the area you want to capture by dragging the cursor around it.
Step 7: Use the Snip Tool’s Editing Features
You can use the Snipping Tool’s editing features to highlight or annotate areas of your capture.
Step 8: Save Your Screenshot
Click on File > Save As to save your screenshot.
Step 9: Use the Game Bar to Capture Windows
Press Windows + G to open the Game Bar, a built-in feature of Windows 10 designed for gamers that can also be used for screen capture.
Step 10: Set up Captured Images to Save Automatically in the Game Bar
Go to Settings > Gaming > Game DVR to set up the Game Bar’s ‘Record in the background while I’m playing a game’ feature to capture anything you want.
Step 11: Use Third-Party Tools
There are various third-party tools available online that can help you capture your screen, such as Lightshot, Greenshot, and others.
Step 12: Use the Windows + Shift + S Keyboard Shortcut
Windows 10 provides a new and fast method to take a custom screenshot: Windows + Shift + S keyboard shortcut is very similar to the Snipping Tool.
Additional Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Edit Your Screenshots with Paint
Paint is a simple graphic editor that allows you to edit your screenshot by adding text, boxes, or arrows.
Tip 2: Use Print Screen to Instantly Copy Your Screenshot
Pressing the Print Screen button copies your entire screen to the Clipboard, which you can then paste into Paint or another application.
Tip 3: Use the ‘Alt + Print Screen’ Shortcut to Take a Screenshot of the Active Window
Rather than capturing your entire screen, this keyboard combination lets you take a screenshot of your active window only.
Tip 4: Create Keyboard Shortcuts for Your Favorite Tools
This is a great way to speed up your screen capture process.
Tip 5: Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Quickly Take Screenshots
You can use a range of keyboard shortcuts to take screenshots in Windows 10, such as Windows + PrtSc or Alt + Windows + PrtSc.
Tip 6: Use a Timer to Take Screenshots
This is useful for taking screenshots of drop-down menus or other timed events.
Tip 7: Save Your Screenshots as Different Formats
Choose from a range of formats, including JPEG, PNG, and GIF.
Tip 8: Use Your Camera to Take a Photo of Your Screen
This may seem like a strange tip but it can work very well.
Tip 9: Remember to Use the Print Screen Key for Quick Screenshots
It’s the quickest and easiest way to take a screenshot in Windows 10.
Tip 10: Use Screen Recordings to Capture Video and Audio
If you’re looking to create video tutorials or explain something in more detail, consider using screen recording software like Camtasia or Snagit.
That concludes our guide to screen capture in Windows 10. With these twelve easy steps and ten additional tips and tricks, you’ll soon be taking professional-quality screenshots in no time. Remember to experiment with different tools and shortcuts to find what works best for you.
Advantages of Screen Capturing in Windows 10
Screen capturing is a great tool that comes with Windows 10. It allows you to capture images, videos, and screenshots of your computer screen. Screen capturing can come in handy in many situations and here are some of its advantages:
- Great for making tutorials: Screen capturing is an excellent tool for making tutorials. You can record your screen and the audio to create a video tutorial for your viewers.
- Perfect for gaming videos: If you are a gamer and want to show off your gaming skills to your fans, screen capturing is the way to go. You can record your gameplay and upload it to YouTube or other platforms.
- Useful for troubleshooting: If you are facing an issue with your computer, you can use screen capturing to take a screenshot and show it to a technician.
- Easy to use: Screen capturing is easy to use and comes with a user-friendly interface.
- Free of cost: Screen capturing is a built-in tool in Windows 10, which means you do not have to pay for it.
- Helpful for creating presentations: Screen capturing can help you create presentations with ease. You can record your screen and add voiceovers to make a professional-looking presentation.
- Good for remote workers: Screen capturing is a great tool for remote workers who need to show their work to their supervisors or colleagues.
- Can capture multiple displays: Screen capturing in Windows 10 can capture multiple displays which is useful for people who use multiple monitors.
- Customizable: You can customize the screen size, audio settings and many other features in screen capturing.
- Flexible: Screen capturing is flexible and can be used for different purposes such as recording webinars, conference calls, and online meetings.
Disadvantages of Screen Capturing in Windows 10
Like any other tool, screen capturing also comes with a few disadvantages that you should be aware of:
- May slow down your computer: Screen capturing can slow down your computer if you do not have enough RAM and processing power.
- Can take up storage space: Screen capturing can take up a lot of storage space if you record long videos.
- May cause privacy concerns: Screen capturing can be used for unethical purposes such as spying on someone’s activities.
- May not capture high-quality audio: The audio quality in screen capturing may not be as high as in a dedicated microphone.
- May not work on older computers: Screen capturing may not work smoothly on older computers that do not have high specifications.
- Can be distracting: While screen capturing, notifications and pop-ups may interrupt the recording process.
- Difficult to edit: Screen recordings may not be easy to edit, especially if you are not familiar with video editing tools.
- Not suitable for capturing 3D content: Screen capturing may not be suitable for capturing 3D content as it may cause distortions and loss of quality.
- Can be time-consuming: Editing, exporting and uploading a screen recording can be time-consuming, especially if it’s a lengthy video.
- Requires some planning: Screen capturing requires some planning, especially if you want to create high-quality content.
1. What is screen capture?
Screen capture is a digital image of the contents displayed on your computer or mobile device screen captured through software.
2. Why do I need to screen capture on Windows 10?
Screen capture can be helpful in a variety of situations such as creating tutorials, documenting errors, or capturing important images or texts.
3. How can I screen capture the entire screen on Windows 10?
Press the Windows key + PrtScn button on your keyboard. The captured screen will be saved in the default Pictures folder.
4. Can I capture a specific area on my screen?
Yes, you can capture a specific area on your screen by using the Snipping tool or the shortcut Windows key + Shift + S.
5. How can I find the captured screen?
The captured screen will be automatically saved in the Pictures folder. You can also access it through the Snipping tool or clipboard.
6. How can I adjust the screen capture options?
You can adjust the screen capture options through the Snipping tool or the Settings app. This includes changing the default save location and format.
7. What is the difference between the Snipping tool and Print Screen method?
The Snipping tool allows you to capture a specific area and provides additional editing options, while the Print Screen method captures the entire screen without additional editing options.
8. Can I use third-party screen capture software?
Yes, there are many third-party screen capture software available such as Snagit, Camtasia, and Greenshot.
9. How can I capture a screenshot of an active window?
Press the Alt + PrtScn button on your keyboard to capture a screenshot of the active window. The captured screen will be saved in the default Pictures folder.
10. How can I capture a screenshot of a menu or tooltip?
Use the Snipping tool or the shortcut Windows key + Shift + S to capture the menu or tooltip.
11. Can I capture a screenshot of a game or video?
Yes, you can capture a screenshot of a game or video by using the Print Screen method or third-party software.
12. How can I record a video of my screen on Windows 10?
You can use the built-in Xbox Game Bar or third-party software such as OBS or Camtasia to record a video of your screen.
13. Can I capture a screen on Windows 10 tablet or mobile device?
Yes, you can capture a screen on Windows 10 tablet or mobile device by pressing the Windows logo and volume down button at the same time.
How to Screen Capture Windows 10
Screen capture or print screen is a popular feature in Windows. It enables the user to take a screenshot of the current window or the entire screen. You can use this feature to capture an image of your computer screen or to record a video of your screen. In this article, we are going to show you how to screen capture Windows 10.
Conclusion and Closing
Screen capturing is a useful tool that allows you to take screenshots and share them with others. It’s easy to use and can be used for a variety of purposes, including capturing images, creating tutorials, and troubleshooting. Windows 10 comes with a built-in screen capture tool that enables you to capture images and videos without having to install any third-party software.
We hope that this guide has helped you to learn how to screen capture Windows 10. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below. Thank you for reading, and we wish you all the best!
Until next time, happy screen capturing!