Welcome to our article about how to split screen in Windows 10. Windows 10 is a popular operating system used by many people all around the world, and one of its many great features is the ability to split the screen. This feature allows you to work on two different applications simultaneously, making it easier to multitask and increase productivity. In this article, we will guide you through the steps on how to split the screen in Windows 10.
Steps to Split Screen in Windows 10
Step 1: Open the First Application you want to Split
Before you split the screen, you need to open the applications you want to use. For the purpose of this tutorial, we will use Microsoft Word and Google Chrome as examples. Open the first application you want to split, in this case, Microsoft Word.
Step 2: Drag and Drop the First Application to One Side of the Screen
Once you have opened the first application, drag it to one side of the screen. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the application to the left or right side of the screen. You will see a translucent outline of the application.
Step 3: Release the Mouse Button to Snap the Application to One Side
Release the mouse button once you have positioned the application to one side of the screen. The first application will snap to one side of the screen, and the other side of the screen will show your other open applications.
Step 4: Open the Second Application you want to Split
Open the second application you want to split. In this tutorial, we will use Google Chrome as an example.
Step 5: Drag and Drop the Second Application to the Other Side of the Screen
Drag and drop the second application to the other side of the screen. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the application to the left or right side of the screen. You will see a translucent outline of the application.
Step 6: Release the Mouse Button to Snap the Application to One Side
Release the mouse button once you have positioned the application to the other side of the screen. The second application will snap to the other side of the screen, and you can now work on both applications simultaneously.
Step 7: Resize the Applications if Necessary
If the applications are not evenly split on the screen, you can adjust the sizes by dragging the divider line between them. Place the mouse cursor on the divider line, hold down the left mouse button and drag the line to the desired position.
Step 8: Use Both Applications Simultaneously
You can now use both applications simultaneously, switching between them as needed. This will save you time and increase your productivity.
Step 9: Exit Split Screen Mode
To exit split screen mode, click on the divider line between the two applications and drag it back to its original position. The applications will return to their original sizes, and you can work on one application at a time.
Step 10: Use Windows Snap Assist
If you want to snap four applications to the screen at once, you can use Windows Snap Assist. To do this, drag the first application to one side of the screen and wait for the Snap Assist menu to appear. Select the second application you want to snap, and it will automatically snap to the other side of the screen. Repeat the process for the other two applications.
Step 11: Use Keyboard Shortcuts
You can also use keyboard shortcuts to split the screen in Windows 10. Press the Windows key and the left or right arrow key to snap the current application to one side of the screen. Press the same combination of keys again to move the application to the other side of the screen.
Step 12: Customize Window Sizes with Third-Party Apps
If you want more control over window sizes and positions, you can use third-party apps like AquaSnap or DisplayFusion. These apps allow you to split the screen in different ways and customize the size and position of each window.
Tips and Tricks
Tip 1: Use Split Screen to Increase Productivity
Split screen is a great feature that can help you save time and increase your productivity. It allows you to work on two or more applications simultaneously without having to switch back and forth between them.
Tip 2: Customize Window Sizes and Positions
If you need more control over window sizes and positions, consider using third-party apps like AquaSnap or DisplayFusion.
Tip 3: Use Keyboard Shortcuts for Faster Splitting
Keyboard shortcuts can save you time when splitting the screen. Try using the Windows key and the left or right arrow key to snap applications to the screen.
Tip 4: Snap Four Applications with Windows Snap Assist
Windows Snap Assist can help you snap four applications to the screen at once. Try dragging one application to one side of the screen and selecting the other three from the Snap Assist menu.
Tip 5: Try Different Splitting Combinations
Experiment with different splitting combinations to see what works best for you. You can split the screen vertically or horizontally, and you can also adjust the sizes of each window.
Tip 6: Use Split Screen for Gaming
You can also use split screen for gaming, allowing multiple players to play on the same computer simultaneously.
Tip 7: Use Split Screen for Presentations
Split screen is also great for presentations, allowing you to display your presentation on one side of the screen and your notes on the other side.
Tip 8: Use Split Screen for Research
When doing research, split screen can be particularly helpful. You can have your research window open on one side of the screen and your document on the other side.
Tip 9: Optimize Your Display Settings
Make sure your display settings are optimized for split screen. You can adjust the resolution and scaling to ensure that everything looks great on the screen.
Tip 10: Explore Other Features in Windows 10
Windows 10 has many great features to explore. Take some time to discover what else you can do with your operating system.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Split Screen in Windows 10
1. Multi-tasking made easier: The split screen feature in Windows 10 allows users to work on two different programs or applications simultaneously, increasing productivity and saving time.
2. Better organization: Split screen enables users to view and work on multiple windows or tabs at once, making it easier to keep track of important documents, emails, and other files.
3. Improved collaboration: Split screen allows users to share their screen with others during meetings, presentations, or online tutorials, enhancing communication and collaboration.
4. Increased focus: With the ability to keep multiple documents open and visible at once, users can remain focused on their tasks and avoid distractions.
5. Customizable settings: Windows 10 allows users to customize the size and position of each split screen window, making it easy to adjust according to individual preferences.
6. Easy access to information: With the split screen feature, users can quickly switch between applications and programs, providing easy access to important information and data.
7. Compatible with touch screen devices: Windows 10’s split screen feature is optimized for touch screen devices, making it easy for users to use their fingers to move, resize, and adjust windows.
8. Saves time: Using split screen in Windows 10 saves time by eliminating the need to constantly switch between different applications and windows.
9. Increases productivity: The ability to view and work on two different windows or applications simultaneously increases productivity, allowing users to get more done in less time.
10. User-friendly: Windows 10’s split screen feature is easy to use and doesn’t require any advanced technical knowledge, making it accessible to users of all skill levels.
1. Limited screen size: Depending on the user’s screen size and resolution, split screen can sometimes result in smaller windows, which can decrease visibility and usability.
2. Can cause confusion: Working on multiple windows or applications simultaneously can sometimes cause confusion and make it easy to lose track of what’s happening in each window.
3. Can be overwhelming: For users who are not familiar with split screen or comfortable with multi-tasking, the feature can be overwhelming and frustrating.
4. Decreased performance: Running multiple windows or applications simultaneously can put a strain on the computer’s resources, resulting in decreased performance and slower load times.
5. Not all applications support split screen: Not all applications or programs are compatible with Windows 10’s split screen feature, limiting its functionality.
6. Glitches and technical issues: Split screen can sometimes cause technical issues or glitches in certain applications and programs, affecting usability and reliability.
7. Learning curve: Like any new feature or interface, it takes time and practice to become familiar with Windows 10’s split screen feature.
8. Limited flexibility: Windows 10’s split screen feature is limited to a 50/50 split, which may not be enough for certain users who require more screen space.
9. Light sensitivity: Split screen can be challenging for users with light sensitivity or vision problems who may find it difficult to read smaller text or view multiple windows at once.
10. Not for all users: Split screen is not suitable for all users or all types of work, and it may not be necessary for those who only use their computers for basic tasks.
1. What is split screen?
Split screen is a feature that allows you to see and work with two different applications or windows side by side on the same screen.
2. How do I activate split screen in Windows 10?
To activate split screen in Windows 10, click and hold the title bar of a window and drag it to the left or right edge of your screen. Release the mouse button once you see an outline appear around the edge. Then, select another window to fill the other half of the screen.
3. Can I resize the split screen windows?
Yes, you can resize the windows of split screen by clicking and dragging the divider bar between the two windows.
4. What is the shortcut key for split screen?
The shortcut key for split screen in Windows 10 is Windows key + left arrow or right arrow. Hold down the Windows key and press either the left or right arrow key to move the active window to the corresponding half of the screen.
5. Can I split the screen into more than two windows?
No, you can split the screen into two windows only. If you need to work with more than two applications at once, you may consider using virtual desktops.
6. Can I switch the positions of the windows in split screen?
Yes, you can switch the positions of the windows in split screen by dragging either window to the opposite side of the screen.
7. What if one of the windows is minimized?
If one of the windows is minimized, you can still use split screen by clicking on the minimized window in the taskbar and dragging it to the edge of the screen.
8. Can I use split screen with touchscreen devices?
Yes, you can use split screen with touchscreen devices by swiping from the left edge of the screen to see all open applications. Then, drag one app to the left or right edge of the screen to enter split screen mode.
9. What if I want to exit split screen mode?
To exit split screen mode in Windows 10, click and hold the divider bar between the two windows, and drag it all the way to the left or right of the screen until one of the windows disappears. Alternatively, press the Windows key + up arrow key to maximize the active window to full screen.
10. Can I split screen with different monitor sizes?
Yes, you can split screen with different monitor sizes, but the windows will be resized to fit each screen. It is recommended to use monitors with the same resolution if possible.
11. Can I split screen with different applications?
Yes, you can split screen with different applications, as long as they are open and running in Windows 10.
12. Can I split screen with different user accounts?
No, you cannot split screen with different user accounts in Windows 10. You can only use split screen with applications under the same user account.
13. Do all Windows 10 versions have split screen?
No, split screen is available in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions only. The Home edition does not have this feature.
How to Split Screen in Windows 10
If you often work on multiple windows in Windows 10, you may find it useful to split your screen and use two apps side by side. Split-screen mode can help increase your productivity and allow you to easily multitask. Here’s how to split screen in Windows 10.
First, open the two apps you want to use side by side. Click and hold the title bar of one window and drag it to either the left or right side of the screen until it snaps into place. Then, do the same with the other window on the opposite side of the screen. You can adjust the size of each window by clicking and dragging the divider line between them.
If you prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, you can press the Windows key and the left or right arrow key to snap the current window to either side of the screen. Then, open the second window and use the same shortcut to snap it to the other side of the screen.
You can also use the Task View feature to split screen in Windows 10. Press the Windows key + Tab to open Task View, then click and drag the desired window to the left or right side of the screen. You can then choose another window from Task View to fill the other side of the screen.
Conclusion and Closing
Split-screen mode in Windows 10 is a great way to improve your productivity and multitasking abilities. Whether you prefer to use your mouse or keyboard shortcuts, splitting your screen is easy and can save you time when working on multiple apps at once. Experiment with different layouts and find the setup that works best for you. Happy multitasking!
Thanks for reading this tutorial on how to split screen in Windows 10. We hope it was helpful and informative. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Until next time, happy computing!